Persuasion is known as an art. The art is the ability to convince someone to do something you suggest or change their perception/beliefs. Understanding how to persuade others can help you achieve the goal of them believing in you. In the music industry, this is important because as an artist you want them to believe in you as an artist, but to also believe in your music.
At this point you may be asking yourself. How do I do this? You have come to the right place as I will share with you 6 important points to cover as an emerging artists.
- Reciprocity – This is the obligation those feel to give when they receive something. For example, if you put a teaser of your next song to release on your Social Media and someone comments that the song seems great and they can’t wait to hear the whole song and you reply private back to them they will be the first to hear it by attending a private showcase. Chances are they will want to cheer you on in some way by saying what a great artist you are to their friends. By giving them the ability to be one of the first people to hear the song you have given to them something. In return, they will feel obligated to do something for you. The key is be the one to give first.
- Scarcity – The item/product will no longer be available, so you have to act fast if you want to take part in the CTA (FOMO). In order to achieve this, you not only need to speak of the benefits but also why it’s unique and what they should stand to lose if they don’t take action. To be specific, You are having your 1st concert at an iconic place that is going to close its doors for good. You can let you fanbase know that you are having your 1st concert and they will never be able to see you there in concert again because they are closing its doors for good; that there are only 300 tickets available and if they want to be a part of this historic concert they need to act fast and get their tickets,
- Authority- People follow others with are credible, knowledgeable, and have expertise. For example, Collaborating with a well-known artist on one of your tracks will give you the credibility needed. Not only will you gain credibility with your fanbase, gain it wth possible new fans.
- Consistency – With this you are looking for and asking for commitments that can be made. For example, You see that there is a group of listeners on Spotify that already follow a playlist titled “Emerging Latin Tracks”. You already know that these listeners are looking for new music. They have subscribed to this playlist, which means that they have committed in a way to hear new music by emerging artists. This playlist is where you want to target to get your music heard. In addition, you have to be consistent with putting out music.
- Liking – People tend to say yes to people they like. There are 3 things that people consider. 1. Similarly, people want to be involved in things that are similar to them Which means that they want to follow and artist that they can identify with. 2. Compliments, people want to get a shout out on their social media if they commented on your latest post. 3. Cooperate, people tend to cooperate with those who cooperate with them. Again, if they heart, like, or subscribe send them a personalized DM and show them some love. Chances are they will come to really like you and hopefully become a life long fan.
- Consensus – People look to the action of others to determine their own. For example, if you make up a dance to one of your songs on Tik Tok and it is catchy chances are others will begin to do it because everyone else is doing it. In other words, all these people have come to a consensus.
Overall, persuasion is an art because it has to be done with authenticity. You want to make sure that you are understanding your audience and providing them with quality content. The goal is to get them to believe in you. Implement these persuading tactics and you will see your fanbase grow.